Monday 24 April 2017

April 25 Devotion - Knowing God through His Names - Part 1 Day 1



I would like to revisit the Names of God in The Bible. I find this to be a blessing to me. Hope it is a blessing to you too.
In general there are 7 main names for God, and some of the main names have derivatives. Part 1of these devotions is a listing of the names, parts 2 to 9 will go deeper into our understanding of each name(s). Because Part 1 is long, I will divide it into the remaining 4 days of the work week. (I do not, in general, write devotions on the weekend).



 And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’”
Exodus 3:14 NKJV

“Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.”
Matthew 6:9
 
“…Father, glorify Your name.” Then a voice came from heaven, saying, “I have both glorified it and will glorify it again.”
John 12:28

                                                                                                      
The names which God chose for Himself and which are ascribed to Him in the Word of God are additional revelations of who God is and how we should relate to Him. The Old Testament’s original form was written mainly in Hebrew, but a few chapters in the prophecies of Ezra and Daniel and one verse in Jeremiah were written in a language called Aramaic. This language became very popular in the ancient world and actually displaced many other languages. Aramaic even became the common language spoken in Israel in Jesus’ time, and it was likely the language He spoke day by day. Some Aramaic words were even used by the Gospel writers in the New Testament. The New Testament was written in Greek. Greek was the language of scholarship during the years of the composition of the New Testament from 50 to 100 AD.

Names of God in Scripture:

(1) Elohim: God “Creator, Mighty and Strong”, the plural form of Eloah, which accommodates the doctrine of the Trinity. From the Bible’s first sentence, the superlative nature of God’s power is evident as God (Elohim) speaks the world into existence.  
In the beginning God (Elohim) created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

I am the Lord, and there is no other Isaiah 45:18

Compounds of El:
•     El Shaddai: “God Almighty.” Is a name that speaks of God as the Covenant God. El-Shaddai is the active God fulfilling His covenant.
•     El Elyon: “The Most High God.” Stresses God’s strength, sovereignty, and supremacy
I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High. Psalms 9:2
•     El Olam: “The Everlasting God.” Emphasizes God’s unchangeableness


I invite you to repeat the following prayer for yourself:
Abba Father, Adonai, thank You for Your inseparable, unfailing, deep and everlasting love for me and Your abundant blessings in my life. God I put my life in Your hands Elohim. I pray that Your covenant will be fulfilled in my life El-Shaddai. You are my everlasting God El Olam. I submit to your supremacy El Elyon. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.

Jesus loves you,
In Him,
Wagdi Henein

No comments:

Post a Comment