Monday 9 December 2019

December 9 Devotion - Jesus is the embodiment of love - A study of Jesus Christ's attributes - Part 4 - Jesus does not dishonour others


Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
طوبى للودعاء .لانهم يرثون الارض
Heureux ceux qui sont doux, car Dieu leur donnera la terre en héritage
Matthew 5:5

The Greek word ‘praus’, translated here as meek, can also be translated as gentle, humble, or mild.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

اِحْمِلُوا نِيرِي عَلَيْكُمْ، وَتعَلَّمُوا مِنِّي، لأَنِّي وَدِيعٌ وَمُتَوَاضِعُ الْقَلْبِ، فَتَجِدُوا الرَّاحَةَ لِنُفُوسِكُمْ.

Prenez mon joug sur vous et recevez mes instructions, car je suis doux et humble de coeur; et vous trouverez du repos pour vos âmes.

Matthew 11:29

By taking Jesus’ yoke (a harness used to attach one younger animal to another more stronger and experienced animal) we are borrowing from Jesus’ strength. He is, in effect, offering to help carry our burdens. Certainly this cannot mean He is weak, as He is strong enough to help us to the point that we can rest now, and his meekness is the very reason He is helping us carry our burden.

Jesus was meek. A meek person would never dishonour another person. There are words that reflect the world’s teaching. In the world a meek person is a weak person, we need to look at what Jesus meant and how He relates them to the Kingdom of God and in the depth and breadth of what He meant.

I am learning that I need (and maybe you too) to unlearn what the world has taught me, before I can learn what Jesus is teaching me and respect and accept being meek. I have a lot to gain when I do. Not to dishonour a person means to honour that person. According to the thesaurus, honour has these synonyms: "esteem, respect, pay homage to, assigning value to."

In order to honour others we first need to start with an attitude of meekness.


I invite you to repeat the following prayer for yourself:
Abba Father, help me to unlearn the worldly beatitudes and teach me Your Beatitudes. Teach me to be meek and to honour You and my fellow man. Help me God to bring all my thoughts into captivity to the obedience of Christ and to become Christ-like. In the powerful name of Jesus I pray. ‘Now to Him who is able to carry out His purpose and do infinitely beyond our greatest prayers, hopes, or dreams, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations forever and ever. Ephesians 3:20-21 Amen.

Jesus loves you,
In Him,
Wagdi Henein

No comments:

Post a Comment