Wednesday 25 July 2012

July 26 Devotion- Renewing My Mind- Step 3 Express Those Emotions

Do not be conformed to this world (this age), [fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs], but be transformed (changed) by the [entire] renewal of your mind [by its new ideals and its new attitude], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God, even the thing which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His sight for you].

ولا تشاكلوا هذا الدهر. بل تغيّروا عن شكلكم بتجديد اذهانكم لتختبروا ما هي ارادة الله الصالحة المرضية الكاملة.

Romans 12:2 Amplified Bible (AMP)


In the last devotions I wrote:

In the next 10 devotions I will share with you 10 steps to detoxify the brain with the objective of renewing our brain.

 I am learning about these steps and learning to apply them.

These steps are adapted from a book by Dr. Caroline Leaf, a Christian author, and other teachings I learned.

Step 1: Consciously Control Your Thoughts



Step 2: Frame Your World with Your Words


The Apostle Paul was dealing with difficult emotions. They were so powerful that we can imagine that they were tearing him apart. He chose to express his emotions, not out loud to himself, not to a group of friends, no; he put them in writing for the whole world to see for thousands of years. We can deduct that there is a big value of expressing our emotions and not bottling them up inside as some of us do. Let’s read his feelings:

 So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members.
إِذَنْ، أَجِدُ نَفْسِي، أَنَا الَّذِي يُرِيدُ أَنْ يَعْمَلَ مَا هُوَ صَالِحٌ، خَاضِعاً لِهَذَا النَّامُوسِ:
  أَنَّ لَدَيَّ الشَّرَّ. فَإِنَّنِي، وَفْقاً لِلإِنْسَانِ الْبَاطِنِ فِيَّ، أَبْتَهِجُ بِشَرِيعَةِ اللهِ.
  وَلكِنَّنِي أَرَى فِي أَعْضَائِي نَامُوساً آخَرَ يُحَارِبُ الشَّرِيعَةَ الَّتِي يُرِيدُهَا عَقْلِي، وَيَجْعَلُنِي أَسِيراً لِنَامُوسِ الْخَطِيئَةِ الْكَائِنِ فِي أَعْضَائِي.

Step 3: Express Those Emotions



If you repress and hide toxic emotions, the time will come when those buried emotions will suddenly come pouring out, and of course, it will happen at the most inopportune time, because buried emotions are not controlled, thoughtful emotions.

 Signs of suppressed emotions (beside illness in your body), include:

Irritability, short temper, over-reactivity, anxiety, frustration, fear, impulse, a desire for control, perfectionism, self doubt.

Realize that The Bible tells us “In your anger do not sin” Ephesians 4:26 and ‘an angry person stirs up conflict, and a hot-tempered person commits many sins.’ Proverbs 29:22. We need to be able to express our emotions in a controlled and effective manner.

Don’t deny your feelings. Acknowledge them, face them and deal with them in a positive way as soon as you can. Expressing emotions in a healthy way is an important step in detoxing the brain.


I invite you to repeat the following prayer for yourself:                                                                                                                                                  Abba Father, thank You for Your abundant blessings and love. Lord, help me to acknowledge my feelings and express them to you in prayer, may the Holy Spirit indwelling in me give me healing and support to do the right thing according to your will.  Help me Lord to be able to express my emotions to my brethren in an effective constructive way that is according to a win-win approach. Heavenly Father, please continue to teach me to renew my mind so that I can be transformed to be Christlike, to feel Your joy, to live Your good and pleasing will for my life. I pray in Jesus’ mighty name, to Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen.
O my soul, you have said to the Lord,
“You are my Lord,
My goodness is nothing apart from You.”
Psalm 16:2
قُلْتُ لِلرَّبِّ: «أَنْتَ سَيِّدِي. خَيْرِي لاَ شَيْءَ غَيْرُكَ».

Jesus loves you
In Him,
Wagdi Henein

No comments:

Post a Comment