Thursday 19 April 2018

April 19 Devotion - The Lord's Prayer - Give us this day our daily bread



As believers we have the great privilege through Jesus Christ to pray directly to God the Father, and should be living in a daily and constant dependence on God’s provision.
Jesus said:
“It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”
«مَكْتُوبٌ: لَيْسَ بِالْخُبْزِ وَحْدَهُ يَحْيَا الإِنْسَانُ، بَلْ بِكُلِّ كَلِمَةٍ تَخْرُجُ مِنْ فَمِ اللهِ»
Matthew 4:4
We are to ask for our daily bread and more importantly have daily sustenance on The Word of God as our Bread of Life. There is nothing wrong with praying for our daily needs but Jesus did not say to pray for tomorrow’s bread but only for today’s because He said “Give us each day our daily bread.”  Nothing is said about tomorrow’s bread. Just like the manna that came down from heaven each day.
Then the Lord said to Moses, “Behold, I will cause bread to rain from heaven for you; the people shall go out and gather a day’s portion every day.
Exodus 16: 4

Jesus also said:
 Seek first God’s kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
أَمَّا أَنْتُمْ، فَاطْلُبُوا أَوَّلاً مَلَكُوتَ اللهِ وَبِرِّهِ، وَهَذِهِ كُلُّهَا تُزَادُ لَكُمْ.
Matthew 6:33
Even though there is nothing wrong with praying for many things, we need to keep things in perspective, that whatever we need or want may be given to us but we need to first seek God’s Kingdom and His righteousness. We are also to realize that Jesus is the bread of life for He himself said:
I am the Bread of Life. The one who comes to Me will never be hungry, and the one who believes in Me [as Savior] will never be thirsty [for that one will be sustained spiritually].
فَأَجَابَهُمْ يَسُوعُ: «أَنَا هُوَ خُبْزُ الْحَيَاةِ. فَالَّذِي يُقْبِلُ إِلَيَّ لَا يَجُوعُ، وَالَّذِي يُؤْمِنُ بِي لَا يَعْطَشُ أَبَداً.
John 6:35


I invite you to repeat the following prayer for yourself:
Abba Father, help me Lord to read and meditate on Your Word daily and to feel connected to and dependent upon You daily. LORD, I pray that out of Your glorious riches You strengthen me with power through Your Spirit in my inner being, so that I can seek first Your Kingdom and righteousness before all my needs and wants. Thank You Father for Your abundant blessings and Your deep, everlasting and inseparable love for me. Jesus You are my daily spiritual bread, help me to hear Your calling and to connect with You on a daily and moment by moment basis. God I praise You, revere You, worship You, I stand in awe of You, and glorify Your Holy Name. I declare to the world that Christ is my Lord and Saviour and I pray in His holy name. To Him be the power, the glory, the majesty and the dominion forever and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen.

Jesus loves you,
In Him,
Wagdi Henein

No comments:

Post a Comment