Sunday 22 April 2018

April 23 Devotion - The Lord's Prayer - And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil


In the previous devotions I covered the following portion of The Lord’s Prayer: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10 your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. 11 Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
Today we cover the next phrase in sequence:  And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
   
The Greek word for temptation is “Peirasmos” which means “a trial, proving, or testing.” God does not tempt us ever. He however may choose to test us.
 When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone;
إذا تَعَرَّضَ أحَدٌ لِلتَّجرِبَةِ، لا يَنبَغي أنْ يَقُولَ: «هَذِهِ تَجرِبَةٌ مِنَ اللهِلِأنَّ اللهَ لا تُغرِيهِ الشُّرُورُ، وَهُوَ لا يُغرِي بِها أحَداً.
James 1:13
In this phrase of The Lord’s Prayer we request God to protect us against that which might cause us to fall into sin. The Bible tells us that everything that happens is either caused by God, or God allows it.  As such, we believers realize that God is in control of every second of our lives, so we pray for God to guide our steps away from tests and towards holiness.

No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
 لَمْ تُصِبكُمْ تَجرِبَةٌ لا تَأتِي عَلَى غَيرِكُمْ مِنَ البَشَرِ، لَكِنْ يُمكِنُكُمْ أنْ تَثِقُوا بِاللهِ الَّذي لا يَسمَحُ بِأنْ تُجَرَّبُوا فَوقَ طاقَتِكُمْ، بَلْ يُوفِّرُ مَعَ التَّجرِبَةِ مَنفَذاً، لِكَيْ تَقدِرُوا أنْ تَحتَمِلُوا.
1 Corinthians 10:13

God is faithful, and he will not let us be tested beyond our ability, but with the test He will also provide the way of escape, that we may be able to endure it. When He delivers the way out, we have to take it.
God is the only one who can protect us from the evil one. It is by His strength that we are enabled to stand against the world, the flesh, and the devil. 

Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
إِذَنْ، كُونُوا خَاضِعِينَ لِلهِ. وَقَاوِمُوا إِبْلِيسَ فَيَهْرُبَ مِنْكُمْ.
James 4:7


I invite you to repeat the following prayer for yourself:
Abba Father, I pray not to be tested and thank You that if it is Your will to test me, You are faithful and will help me endure the test and You will find a way for me out of it. Help and strengthen me Lord to resist the devil. I believe that through Your power he will flee from me. God I praise You, revere You, worship You, I stand in awe of You, and glorify Your Holy Name. Thank You Father for Your abundant blessings and Your deep, everlasting and inseparable love for me. LORD, I pray that out of Your glorious riches You strengthen me with power through Your Spirit in my inner being, so that I may submit my life to You and follow Your guidance for my life. I declare to the world that Christ is my Lord and Saviour. In the Holy Name of Your only begotten Son Jesus, I pray. To Jesus be the power, the glory, the majesty and the dominion forever and ever and unto ages of all ages. Amen.


Jesus loves you,
In Him,
Wagdi Henein

No comments:

Post a Comment