Wednesday 3 May 2017

May 3 Devotion - Knowing God through His Names - Part 4 - Jehovah Shalom



Jehovah Shalom: “The Lord is Peace.” Points to the Lord as the means of our peace and rest. The name given by Gideon to the altar he built after the Angel of the Lord assured him he would not die as he thought he would after seeing Him.  

Then Gideon built an altar there unto the Lord, and called it Jehovah shalom: The-Lord-Is-Peace.

Judges 6:24

So what does “Shalom” mean: The basic definition is peace, a harmony or reconciliation of relationship based upon the completion of a transaction, the payment of a debt, the giving of satisfaction. Peace expresses the deepest desire and need of the human heart. It represents the greatest measure of contentment and satisfaction in life. The Person of Jehovah is our Peace.
Jehovah has a desire to give us His peace:
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Jeremiah 29:11



Jesus is the supplier of peace to the Christian and He is our Jehovah-Shalom. There is no peace besides that which can come by way of Christ. There is no other way. Know Jesus - Know Peace. No Jesus - No Peace. When we have a relationship with God through His Son, Jesus; He becomes our Jehovah-Shalom - the One who brings the peace that surpasses all understanding.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6

‘Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.’
John 14:27
When we invite Christ to come into our lives, He comes to cleanse us of all the other things that drive us and dominate us, we cannot have Christ plus. Any addition to Christ is in reality a subtraction from Christ because any way in which Christ needs to be added to is the measure of His insufficiency. When Christ dominates our heart, we feel true peace.



I invite you to repeat the following prayer for yourself:
Abba Father, thank You for Your unfailing, inseparable, deep and everlasting love for me, Your abundant blessings in my life, and for the riches of Your grace upon my life. My LORD Jehovah Shalom, help me to build an alter for You in my heart where Your peace God, which transcends all understanding, will guard my heart and my mind in Christ Jesus. I pray Jehovah Shalom that I will not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, I will present my requests to You LORD. Jesus I long for Your peace and I pray in Your Holy Name Jesus, my Lord and Saviour. To Jesus be the glory, the power, the majesty and the dominion before all time and now and forever and ever and unto ages of all ages.

Jesus loves you,
In Him,
Wagdi Henein

No comments:

Post a Comment