Monday 18 March 2019

March 18 Devotion - Be of Good Cheer



“…In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”
فَإِنَّكُمْ فِي الْعَالَمِ سَتُقَاسُونَ الضِّيقَ. وَلكِنْ تَشَجَّعُوا، فَأَنَا قَدِ انْتَصَرْتُ عَلَى الْعَالَمِ
John 16:33
Tribulations cause anxiety and sorrow and can lead to depression. When we experience tribulation in our lives we  need to turn to the one who has overcome the world. This sounds easier said than done. However practice makes perfect, and as we learn to turn to Jesus in the face of anxiety and sorrow in the little things we begin to develop our dependence muscles.
Learning that ‘Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow…but empties today of its strength’ (Charles Spurgeon) helps us realize that anxiety distracts the mind from communion with God. 

The Apostle Paul teaches us to:
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing [through the experience of your faith] that by the power of the Holy Spirit you will abound in hope and overflow with confidence in His promises.

لا تهتموا بشيء بل في كل شيء بالصلاة والدعاء مع الشكر لتعلم طلباتكم لدى الله.
وسلام الله الذي يفوق كل عقل يحفظ قلوبكم وافكاركم في المسيح يسوع
فَلْيَملأكُمُ اللهُ، مَصدَرُ كُلِّ رَجاءٍ، بِكُلِّ الفَرَحِ وَالسَّلامِ بَينَما تَتَّكِلُونَ عَلَيهِ، حَتَّى تَفِيضُوا بِالرَّجاءِ بِقُوَّةِ الرُّوحِ القُدُسِ.
Philippians 4:6-7, Romans 15:13

The word ‘nothing’ means it excludes any reason. No reason is exempt and we are not allowed to worry about anything. This means that we are to pray about ‘everything’. Through thankful prayer we can declare to God our anxious thoughts and have faith that He will fill our hearts and mind with His peace when we leave our anxieties at The Cross.

I invite you to repeat the following prayer for yourself:
Abba Father, You know exactly where I am emotionally and mentally and I know as per Jesus’ promise that You will comfort me and give me good cheer. Father, I believe that sometimes You do allow the pressures of life to build so that I can learn to deal with them from a position of faith and not from a position of fear. Thank You for not condemning me for my fear, and for providing wisdom for all I face. Abba, God of hope fill me with all joy and peace in believing that by the power of the Holy Spirit I will abound in hope and overflow with confidence in Your promises and never feel anxious and always thankful. I pray that Your peace which surpasses all comprehension, will guard my heart and mind in Christ Jesus. God I pray to You in the name of Your precious Son; my Redeemer and Saviour; the Lord of my life, Jesus Christ. To Jesus be the power, the glory, the majesty, the blessings, and the dominion before all time and now and forever. Amen.

Jesus loves you,
In Him,
Wagdi Henein

No comments:

Post a Comment