Tuesday 19 May 2015

May 19 Devotion - The Peace of God



Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
سَلاماً أَتْرُكُ لَكُمْ. سَلاَمِي أُعْطِيكُمْ. لَيْسَ كَمَا يُعْطِي الْعَالَمُ أُعْطِيكُمْ أَنَا. فَلاَ تَضْطَرِبْ قُلُوبُكُمْ، وَلاَ تَرْتَعِبْ.
لا تهتموا بشيء بل في كل شيء بالصلاة والدعاء مع الشكر لتعلم طلباتكم لدى الله.
وسلام الله الذي يفوق كل عقل يحفظ قلوبكم وافكاركم في المسيح يسوع
 John 14:27, Philippians 4:6-7

It is good to be concerned and excited but wrong to be worried and anxious. Anxiety makes our concerns to become all-consuming and debilitating.
Adam Clarke in his commentary regarding peace in the books of John and Paul’s letter to the Philippians writes:
Peace I leave with you - The Jewish form of salutation and benediction. A wish of peace among them is thus to be understood: May you prosper in body and soul, and enjoy every earthly and heavenly good!
My peace I give unto you - Such tranquillity of soul, such uninterrupted happiness of mind, such everlasting friendship with God as I enjoy, may you all enjoy! And such blessedness I bequeath unto you: it is my last, my best, my dying legacy.
Not as the world gives - Their salutations and benedictions are generally matters of custom and polite ceremony, but I mean what I say; what I wish you, that I will give you. To his followers Jesus gives peace, procures it, preserves it, and establishes it. He is the author, prince, promoter, and keeper of peace.
Neither let it be afraid - Μηδε δειλιατω, Let not your heart shrink back through fear of any approaching evil. This is the proper meaning of the word. In a few hours you will be most powerfully assaulted; but stand firm: - the evil will only fall upon me; and this evil will result in your comfort and salvation, and in the redemption of a lost world.

This peace transcends all understanding; it is of a very different nature from all that can arise from human occurrences; it is a peace which Christ has purchased, and which God dispenses; it is felt by all the truly godly, but can be explained by none; it is communion with the Father, and his Son Jesus Christ, by the power and influence of the Holy Ghost.


I invite you to repeat the following prayer for yourself:
Abba Father, thank You for Your abundant blessings and inseparable, deep and everlasting love. Lord I praise You and glorify You. Thank You Jesus that You wish me to prosper in body and soul, and enjoy every earthly and heavenly good. Thank You God that I can enjoy tranquillity of soul, uninterrupted happiness of mind, and everlasting friendship with You Lord.  As a follower of Jesus Christ; my Saviour and Lord; I enjoy Jesus’ peace.  
Lord, teach me to bring my troubles to You and help me to practice growing still before You. Father, I know that You sometimes allow the pressures of life to build so that I can learn how to deal with them from a position of faith and not fear. Thank You for Your mercy and for providing me wisdom for all I face. Strengthen me Lord so that in everything and in all circumstances I am always be thankful and not feel anxious. Instead I feel that Your peace which surpasses all comprehension, is guarding my heart and mind in Christ Jesus. In Jesus’ name I pray. To Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever and unto ages of all ages. Amen.
Jesus loves you,
In Him,
Wagdi Henein


No comments:

Post a Comment