Thursday 3 May 2018

May 4 Devotion - Jesus Sets Boundaries


Is it okay to set boundaries in relationships? Is it healthy to set boundaries in relationships? Did Jesus set boundaries in dealing with people? The answer to these three questions is a definite YES.

Many health professionals insist that one of the most vital components to creating a healthy and fulfilling relationship is to set clear and agreed to boundaries in relationships.  In simple terms, boundaries are the thing that keeps us separate from the other person.  The boundaries set the place between where you end and the other person begins.
Many people are sensitive-hearted and prone to take on other people’s problems. If they don’t have clear personal boundaries and limits they get weighed down and walked on. Eventually they start having problems with anger, resentment, stress overload, or burn out. They just can’t continue being so helpful and caring all the time!

Jesus had personal needs that he put priority on — sometimes even over the needs of other people — and he did so without feeling guilty. Primarily his personal soul care had to do with separating himself from people to be alone with God.
Jesus said no to inappropriate behaviour:
·     When the demands on Him from the crowd crossed His needs to be with His Father, He withdrew from the crowds…
But the news about Him was spreading farther, and large crowds kept gathering to hear Him and to be healed of their illnesses. 16 But Jesus Himself would often slip away to the wilderness and pray [in seclusion].
عَلَى أَنَّ خَبَرَ يَسُوعَ زَادَ انْتِشَاراً، حَتَّى تَوَافَدَتْ إِلَيْهِ جُمُوعٌ كَثِيرَةٌ لِيَسْتَمِعُوا إِلَيْهِ وَيَنَالُوا الشِّفَاءَ مِنْ أَمْرَاضِهِمْ. 16 أَمَّا هُوَ، فَكَانَ يَنْسَحِبُ إِلَى الأَمَاكِنِ الْخَالِيَةِ حَيْثُ يُصَلِّي.

Luke 5:15-16

·     Jesus set a boundary and said no to Peter and the disciples who had an inappropriate agenda for Jesus as a political king or military warrior rather than a sacrificial lamb.

But Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to Me; for you are not setting your mind on things of God, but on things of man.”

فَالْتَفَتَ يَسُوعُ إِلَى بُطْرُسَ وَقَالَ لَهُ: «اغْرُبْ مِنْ أَمَامِي يَا شَيْطَانُ! أَنْتَ عَقَبَةٌ أَمَامِي، لأَنَّكَ تُفَكِّرُ لَا بِأُمُورِ اللهِ، بَلْ بِأُمُورِ النَّاسِ

Matthew 16:23

There are many more examples of Jesus setting boundaries in The Bible and we need to learn that it is an acceptable and encouraged behaviour for us Christians to set boundaries and protect ourselves and our emotions, and teach others (children, friends, coworkers, loved ones, parents) their boundaries so as to set the place between where you end and the other person begins. Setting boundaries creates mutual respect, protects against being controlled, and teaches others and yourself to respect other people’s rights and privacy.

I invite you to repeat the following prayer for yourself
Abba Father, I pray that out of Your glorious riches You strengthen me with power through Your Spirit in my inner being, so that I can learn to set boundaries in my life and in my relationships with others. Help me to be prepared through the guidance of The Holy Spirit to answer all accusations or attempts to make me feel guilty because I am setting healthy boundaries. Teach me to be firm but courteous and respectful in my answers, explaining to others that setting boundaries is a win for them as well and we can live in a win-win relationship with respect. Help me Lord to push back those who have by force pushed on my boundary line during the years; without allowing my emotions to be in play; but to let The Holy Spirit think for me and speak through me. Father God I thank You for Your abundant blessings and Your unfailing, deep, everlasting, and inseparable love for me.  Lord God I pray to You in the name of Your precious Son my Redeemer, Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, the power, the dominion, the majesty and the blessings forever and ever and unto ages of all ages.

Jesus loves you,
In Him,
Wagdi Henein

No comments:

Post a Comment